Grass fire north of Stettler (video)
May 15, 2020 @ 2:30PM
Stettler Regional Fire & Rescue were dispatched to a grass fire today on the outskirts of Stettler just north of town.
A child caller who had been playing near Dollarama, initially alerted authorities after witnessing smoke and fire in a farmer’s field.
Fire crews were quickly on scene and worked diligently to extinguish the flames. Soaking the blackened ground to avoid flare ups and ensure hot spots didn't reignite.
This time of year is an especially dangerous time for fires and residents are urged to be very careful when discarding lit items such as cigarettes or operating machinery that emit heat and sparks like ATVs or chainsaws. With the dead grasses from last year laying dry on the ground and little fresh growth, the situation is a veritable tinderbox.
Precautions must be taken to avoid accidentally starting fires when engaging with the outdoors or enjoying the serenity of one's backyard. Be certain to extinguish all fires and hose down the firepit and area around it with water prior to leaving unattended or going inside, both while camping and when at home.
By being careful and acting with an abundance of caution we can avoid causing unnecessary callous this fire season.
No further information regarding the cause of the fire is available at this time.