StettlerLocal.com May 5, 2022 @ 7:00pm
Regular Council Meeting Notes
• At the Regular Council meeting held on April 21, 2022, Council approved the 2022 Operating and Capital Budgets.
• The Operating Budget resulted in no increase in taxes or water rates for the upcoming year. However, council recognized the continuing economic hardships and determined that any increases would be an additional burden to residents.
• They received a presentation from Associated Engineering regarding the status of the sewage lagoon, and some planning is required to improve the condition of that infrastructure.
• The new CAO was appointed effective May 1, 2022. Stop by the office during regular hours to say hello and meet Elaine.
• The decision was made to look at increasing fees at the campground because of the increase to the Village for utilities. A pet fee could also be implemented to help offset some of the costs associated with clean-up for those sites the campers don’t clean after their pets.
• Some items on the agenda were tabled for discussion at a future meeting so that Administration can gather more information to assist Council with their decision-making.
• All Council meetings will be conducted in person going forward. Now that COVID restrictions have been lifted, there will be no need for Zoom meetings. Electronic meetings were a concession that Municipal Affairs made during COVID to allow Councils to continue to meet and include the public. Now that that is not as much of an issue, that concession is expected to end.
Message from the new CAO
I am very excited to be joining the team in Big Valley. I started in municipal government in 2009 and have enjoyed all the challenges and successes that this field has brought my way. For the past five years, I worked in Rockyford as the CAO, and before that, I worked in a couple of municipalities as Deputy CAO. We had chosen to make Big Valley our home, and I was thrilled that I could continue working in my chosen profession in the same community I will be calling home.
I look forward to meeting everyone and getting to know the people and the community. Thank you to Council for providing this opportunity, and thank you to all the residents for showing a little bit of patience as I learn the system and the Village.
Feel free to pop into the office during regular hours to say “hey” and introduce yourselves – the door is always open.
Regular Council Meeting
Thursday, May 19th, 2022
Commencing at 6:30 p.m.
Village Administration Office 29 1st Avenue South
Submitted by Skyla Attfield