Alberta RCMP is urging residents to take steps to prevent vehicle theft and theft from vehicles. August saw the highest reported number of vehicle thefts (over 1,000) and thefts from vehicles (over 1,300) in Alberta RCMP jurisdiction in 2019. According to a data sample from 2018, 26 per cent of stolen vehicles had the keys in them and 8 per cent were left running.
(Alberta RCMP jurisdiction 2019 stats):
· August, July and October were the top three months for vehicle thefts.
· August, July and September were the top three months for thefts from vehicles.
· In total, there were over 12,200 reported thefts from a motor vehicle for the year.
· In total, close to 10,000 vehicles were reported stolen that year.
· Trucks were the most commonly stolen vehicle.
Steps for protecting your vehicle can be as simple as closing the windows and removing the keys when you leave.
Here are more tips for preventing thefts:
· Lock the doors.
· Remove valuables from vehicle including purses, shopping bags, change, electronics and sunglasses.
· Remove garage door opener.
· Park your vehicle in sight or in a well-lit area.
· Use a steering wheel lock.
· Lock your garage.
· Disable power to the garage door if you’re leaving for an extended period of time
This August the RCMP will be using #AutoSafety to provide information on how to keep your vehicles safe this summer.
Watch our Facebook (@RCMPinAlberta) and Twitter (@RCMPAlberta) feeds for tips and reminders to help reduce thefts of, and thefts from, vehicles this summer.
If you see something suspicious, report it to your local police service. If you see a crime in progress, call 911. If you wish to remain anonymous, you can contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS), online at www.P3Tips.com or by using the “P3 Tips” app available through the Apple App or Google Play Store.
RCMP Press Release August 5, 2020 3:25 pm adapted for StettlerLocal.com